Old Government House & Domain

Between 1790 and 1856, successive colonial governors employed hundreds of convict workers on this sprawling agricultural estate. As farming operations expanded and certain governors chose to live at Parramatta rather than in Sydney, the initial single-storey cottage was transformed into a gentrified mansion. The house, its complex of outbuildings and several of the early-19th century improvements to the Governor’s domain, including an observatory, bathhouse and dairy, survive today overlooking the town of Parramatta. 

 
Parra Park aerial shot showing OGH.JPG

Old Government House

The convict-built Georgian house was the country residence for the first ten governors of New South Wales. Standing in 200 acres of parkland overlooking historic Parramatta, the convict-built Old Government House and garrison buildings were built between 1799 and 1816, making them the oldest surviving public buildings in Australia. For seven decades Old Government House was the ‘country’ residence of ten early governors of the Colony, including Governor Lachlan and Mrs Macquarie, who, from 1810 to 1821, preferred the clean air and space of rural Parramatta to the unsanitary and crime ridden streets of Sydney Town.

 
The Dairy and Rangers Cottages at night.jpg

The Dairy & Rangers Cottages

Located within Parramatta Park, the Dairy Precinct is a site of great significance. It contains rare and intact structures dating from the earliest years of European settlement in the colony of New South Wales. As a result, the Dairy Precinct has an extraordinary ability to demonstrate its entire history as well as the technology and materials used by early settlers. 

 
 
Parramatta River2.jpg

Parramatta Park

Parramatta Park is one of Australia’s most significant cultural landscapes. It contains over 100 archaeological sites relating to Aboriginal and early colonial history, as well as monuments and buildings in a rare combination of cultural and natural landscape features.

 

Old Government House & Domain

Address:  Parramatta Park, Pitt Street Entrance, Parramatta, New South Wales 2150

Phone: (02) 9635 8149

 

Collections